Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Senate Veterans Affairs Testimony on Gulf War Veterans' Illnesses

My testimony to the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee was written to answer many persisting questions about these illnesses. It discussed the myths and the facts, while reviewing the recent research on Gulf War Syndrome. I tried to highlight what has been missing from the studies, and provide some ideas on where to go from here. Finally, I discuss the kinds of treatments I employ, and the barriers to receiving effective treatment for Gulf War veterans. Click on the testimony here.

The most arresting thing I heard in the hearing was the DOD physician's statement that 15-20% of current deployed troops to OIF and OEF are returning with ill-defined medical symptoms. This needs to be studied and remedied immediately.

No comments: